5 Star Lodge Manager – Hospitality – Botswana
Salary: Market Related, Live in Single position, paid monthly in Pula
Complement Recruitment is recruiting in our Hospitality division for a 5 Star Lodge Manager position, based in the Okavango Delta, Botswana.
PLEASE FORWARD: Microsoft Word CV; Current Salary; Qualification copies, Recent Head & Shoulders Photograph of yourself to – email@example.com
The ideal person/couple would be held in high regard within the tourism industry, they would have a lot of experience in running a 5 star property in a remote area independently, with a good general understanding of lodge operations, finance, and staff management. The couple or individuals should be passionate about hospitality, and have a keen interest in sustainability, conservation and community development.
- Relationship building – with – staff, guests, governmental departments, the community, the industry (agents and other lodges),
- Corporate Social Responsibility – working with the Foundation in community development
- Business efficiencies – cost control, local produce, quality of product
- HR structure – maintaining and enhancing – understanding and adherence
- Product development on guest experience – lodge, food, game experience, all guest touch points
- Engaging – with the people, the culture, the work style, the expectation
- Regular assessment of the functionality, efficiency and strength of all operational equipment, vehicles, generators and buildings.
- Sustainability – Analyzing the impact Sustainability has on our business and improving it.
- Reducing our Carbon Footprint
- Management of Resources
- Financial Management – Providing an oversight role of the lodge finance.
- Forecasting – Budget forecasting and ensuring the finance aspect of the lodge keep up with the ever changing business environment.
- Training Development – Providing the needed to the team to ensure they are up to speed with the desired service standards.
- New concepts and Creative Ideas – Keep abreast with the latest trends of service delivery.
- Health and Safety at the workplace.
- Development of a superior workforce.
- Plan staffing levels.
- Work with Human Resources staff to recruit, interview, select, hire, and employ an appropriate, right number and quality of employees.
- Provide oversight and direction to the employees in your business unit in accordance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals. Delegate responsibility and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among the lodge team that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, supportiveness, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the department to succeed.
- Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with the overall organizations and that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, guiding principles, and values of the organization.
- Lead employees using a performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
- Lead employees to meet the organization’s expectations for productivity, quality, and goal accomplishment.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, with the assistance of Human Resources, when necessary.
- Maintain employee work schedules including assignments, job rotation, training, leave and paid time off, cover for absenteeism, and overtime scheduling.
- Maintain transparent communication. Appropriately communicate organization information through department meetings, one-on-one meetings, and appropriate email and regular interpersonal communication.
- Perform Department Management.
- Manage the overall operational, budgetary, and financial responsibilities and activities of the lodge.
- Plan and implement systems that perform the work and fulfil the mission and the goals of the lodge efficiently and effectively.
- Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet departmental productivity and quality goals.
- Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
- Make business decisions that are financially responsible, accountable, justifiable, and defensible in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operation of the lodge.
- Review performance data that includes financial, sales, and activity reports and spreadsheets, to monitor and measure your business productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
- Manage the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the lodge. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Communicate regularly with other managers, with the regional manager, the director and other designated contacts within the organization.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
- Overall responsibility for the effective management and running of Lodge. To ensure the lodge and brand are taken to the next level of service standards.
- Overall Responsibility for budget creation and management.
- CAPEX structuring and planning responsibility.
- Overall Day to Day Management of the Lodge and Back of House.
- Daily meeting with Assistant Lodge Manager and Heads of Department to discuss the daily plan, including arrivals, departures, maintenance, food, special requests, bush banqueting etc.
- Create strategy for guest delight, staff welfare, health and safety and training. Ensure plan is implemented and managed throughout the year
- Create annual and monthly training plan for all departments and structure external training and exchanges with other lodges where possible.
- Create and maintain skills development plan.
- Creating an ensuring the environment is continuously met & visible throughout the daily functioning of the lodge.
- Overall responsibility for all human resources in the lodge, ensuring all labour relations, leave and medical funds are managed correctly
- Work with Executive chef to ensure menu & food are aligned to lodge quality standards & food budgets are being met & monitored
- Structure and equipment – assessing, planning, budgeting and repairing of all buildings and equipment
- Work directly with head of housekeeping, head butler & Guest Relations Managers to ensure Lodge & Service standards are maintained at all times & ensure costs and budgets are managed & not exceeded.
- Hosting all Agents and Media and VIP Groups
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 5+ Years Experience in the hospitality service industry especially in dealing with guests & staff
- Previous experience in running a five star operation – non negotiable
- Own Vehicle and Driver’s License
- Valid passport and work permit for non-Botswanan residents
Education and Experience Required of the Manager
- A minimum of three years of responsible leadership experiences in management or supervisory positions.
- Specialized training in managing human resources, preferred
- Excellent Computer and financial skills – MS Office, Excel & Access
- Energetic, proactive person with well-developed concept of the importance of providing a world-class guest experience and the ability to provide that experience.
- Aware, evolved, energetic, compassionate, respectable, good communication and a strong leader.
- Lateral thinking ability, takes Initiative
- Must be able to cope under pressure to meet guests needs
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with staff and guests
- Attention to detail; Diligence and self-motivation to meet deadlines
- Willingness/ability to share information and teach and inspire others.
- Knowledge and experience in business, supervision, and management.
- Knowledge of the functions, operation, and mission of the specific department.
- Better than average written and spoken communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching and development skills.
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a department and lodge staff members.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic economics, budgeting, and accounting principles and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a knowledgeable resource to the organization’s management team that provides leadership and direction.
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices and employee relations.
- Evidence of the ability to practice a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational management skills.
- Good command of the English language.
- An outgoing, warm, friendly personality.
- Confident and comfortable around affluent people.
- Well presented, Honest, Diligent and self-motivator.
- Have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- High energy levels.
- Good staff motivator skills.
- Passionate about creating memorable experiences for individuals.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Sense of urgency.
- Passionate about guest delight.
- Attention to detail.
- Diligence and self-motivation to meet deadlines.
- Willingness and ability to share information, teach and inspire others.
- This is a permanent live-in position, based in the Okavango Delta.
Find Us on Social Media
Subscribe to Job Alerts – www.complement.co.za
Please Note: Companies may expire jobs at their own discretion. Should you not hear from us within 2 weeks, consider your application unsuccessful